Skip to Main Content

FSM Advising (Blum): Frequently Asked Questions

Professor Blum's FSM advising guide for food service management students.



Culinary Arts & Baking & Pastry Arts Food Service Management Program

Concentration FAQ’s

What is a concentration?

A required pre-arranged combination of course in a specialized field or subject. Concentrations were established at JWU to provide students the opportunity to develop a range of abilities desired by employers. Concentrations appear on academic transcripts. IMPORTANT NOTE:  Not all concentration courses listed in this brochure automatically count as EBPA, ECUL, or EHSP electives.

Who do I talk to about concentrations and when?

Prior to scheduling your electives, concentration courses, and other courses recommended for junior/senior years you need to meet with your faculty advisor. You will discuss scheduling of classes, concentration selection, career goals and educational options such as term abroad and experiential education. For specific concentration information, you may also contact the faculty advisor listed with each concentration in this brochure.

When do I need to decide on a concentration?

Prior to scheduling any junior/senior classes, typically during your sophomore year.

How do I declare a concentration?

Speak with a representative in the Student Academic & Financial Services office.

Do my required classes in my bachelors program also count in my concentration?

No. If a class you have already taken or will take as part of your degree program appears as an option in a concentration, you need to select another class.

Can I do two concentrations?

Yes. Your bachelors programs contain (2) groupings of electives: a combination of EBPA, ECUL, and EHSP electives. One grouping must be used for a required concentration and the other may be used to complete either a second concentration, an off-campus experiential education program, or three individually selected electives.

I am a transfer student. Do I still have to complete a concentration?

Transfer students who have been awarded transfer credit for three or more Hospitality Electives are not required to complete a concentration.

Are there prerequisites for concentration classes?

Yes. Consult the catalog or uconnect for information. Do not wait until the required course(s) in a concentration is/are offered before you take the rest of the courses.

How do I find out when a class is scheduled?

You can check through uconnect and Student Academic & Financial Services (Providence Class Projections) each term. Some courses are only offered once a year so make a two-year plan for your scheduled classes to be sure you remain on track.

Can I change my concentration after I have taken some concentration classes?

Yes, but be careful. Some, but not all, concentration classes can be used as Electives. If you are considering changing your concentration, discuss your plans with a faculty advisor or a Student Academic & Financial Services counselor.

Additional Helpful Links: